One of my favorite treats is to dip Italian bread into an olive oil dipping sauce. This is my go-to snack when I want something quick and comforting. It only takes a few minutes to make.
Olive oil is rich in healthy monounsaturated fats, is full of antioxidants that help protect the heart and blood cells from damage, has anti-inflammatory properties, and is a major ingredient in the Mediterranean diet. It satisfies a craving for fat, while being a healthy fat. Many people in the Mediterranean regions believe that olive oil is the key to longevity.
When I lived in Los Angeles I was seated next to a couple in an Italian restaurant. They were visiting from Italy. The restaurant had wonderful fresh-baked bread and they would pour olive oil at the table for dipping. This couple took the salt and pepper shakers and started creating their own dipping sauce. I was intrigued and asked them about it. They said they always put salt and pepper in their olive oil. So I tried it. I’ve expanded on it since then and tried many variations.
Here is my recipe for Olive Oil Dipping Sauce:
extra virgin olive oil
dried herb blend
salt and pepper
Mix all the ingredients together and enjoy with fresh bread.
- Sometimes I leave out the garlic and just use herbs.
- Try a variety of herb blends for different tastes.
- Drizzle in some balsamic vinegar for a little zesty sweetness.
- The bread is important. Try fresh bread from the bakery.
- I spread this on bread and toast it in the oven to make garlic bread.
- Be sure to use extra virgin olive oil for its health benefits.
- Try olive oils from different regions and countries. They all have unique flavors.
- It makes a healthy alternative to bread and butter.
- Contrary to popular belief, olive oil does not make you gain weight.
Do you like olive oil? Have you ever tried making a dipping sauce? Let me know in the comments.