Snow is in the forecast for New Jersey. In the meantime, the air is icy cold, and it’s a little foggy when I look out my window. The house is chilly. The air is dry. My hands are dry. My feet are dry. The trees are bare. These are the times when the blues set in. The winter blues.
We need to cheer ourselves up. How do we break out of the doldrums? Here are some tips.
Add color to your life.
- Put fresh flowers in a vase and keep them in front of a window to brighten up the bleak view. I found a lovely purple arrangement at the supermarket.
- Wear a boldly colored scarf or lipstick.
- Carry a colorful purse.
- Paint your nails a fun, summery color.
- Make a colorful salad with loads of vegetables in a rainbow of colors. Food always cheers me up, and healthy food will send positive feelings throughout your body and brain.
- Have a cup of hot cocoa while wearing a snuggly pair of cashmere socks. Add mint or cherry flavors to perk it up. I love to add a shot of espresso.
- Light a candle. Try a beauty scent to remind you of warmer days to come.
- Read a book.
- Listen to cheerful music.
Add some warmth.
- Watch a summer movie under a soft blanket. I just watched Letters to Juliet. It was warm and touching and takes place in Verona, Italy.
- Make vacation plans for the future. It will give you something to look forward to after the winter ends.
- Go Internet “window shopping” for bathing suits and sandals. Put them in your wish list for later.
- Wear a summer perfume.
- Make a tropical drink.
Give in to the cold.
- Put on some boots and a cute knit hat with matching mittens, and meet a friend for a coffee or a fancy lunch.
- Just go with it. It’ll be over soon enough, and then we’ll all be complaining about how hot it is.
How do you get through the winter blues?